To address the issue of whether the United Kingdom has retained its sovereignty requires a number of points to be examined. First, in 2006, what exactly is ‘sovereignty’ within a nation?
- If your definition is ‘xyz’, and Europe is seen to be trespassing on these, then by your definition, our sovereignty is being undermined.
- However, by how much? Is one of the eight following statements trespassed on? Or is it just slightly trespassed on? If it is five, is this a lot? Is just one, the thin end of the wedge – the start of things to come?
Areas to examine:
2) House of Lords – as above, does the EU restrain/trespass on the work of the Lords?
3) Law Lords and our judicial system? Has the EU undermined this?
5) Manifesto pledges – were these domestic oriented or did they have one eye on the EU?
6) Impact of the European courts on the UK?
7) Impact of the Euro on the UK?